Monday, August 5, 2013

The Wicker Chairs

Just had a phone call from one of my biggest "fans", Jon Dunn who wanted to know about the antique wicker chairs I mentioned on Facebook. (Actually I am one of Jon's fan's 'cause he's my computer-genius that is always saving me from the perils of computer technology!)

Will post the pictures of the chairs but there is a story behind them that bears sharing. These chairs were in Nannan's, (my grandmother) bedroom as long as I can remember. I always loved them and would sit in them whenever I could. I grew up with those chairs because I had the awesome blessing of growing up with both sets of  the most loving grandparents living across the street, for most of my young life, in Charlotte! My grandparents were such a wonderful part of my life- even through my college years and into Mike's and my marriage... and until God called them home.

Mike and I had planned our wedding, sent out invitations and the gifts began arriving. One day I came home from work- I was a teacher- and my grandparents were over. They told me to go into the living room and there I found one of the wicker chairs, freshly painted white with a new sky blue cushion. I bawled my eyes out, so to speak!  It was my favorite wedding gift! Then many years later I was given the wicker rocker that matched. I've painted them and re-covered their cushions and now they adorn our screened porch.
Whenever I look at them or sit in them, I remember my precious grandparents who always loved me unconditionally.

Yes, I do get teary and miss them terribly but I know where they are and that I will indeed see them once again. You may even think me foolish or too childlike but I also ask Jesus to tell them hello for me and tell them that I love them and miss them. And you know what--- I know that He does!

No comments: