Thursday, May 23, 2013

Soul Searching

Last night while listening to some good teaching via the Seeds Conference video, the guest Pastor said something that really caught my attention...basically that our lives are not our own. Okay, I knew that...uh, but am I living like I know it? I realized that I am really living more for myself than for the Lord. Ummmm.... not a wonderful thought.... Came home, watched a bit of a "feel-good" Hallmark movie and went to bed. THAT thought kept playing over and over in my mind. My focus has been on myself...my appearance, my wants, my time, etc. Fell asleep dwelling on this and woke up thinking on it. My prayers began with me acknowledging my self-centeredness. Do I feel guilty or condemned? No. But I am grateful that God showed this to me, that He gently corrected me.
Then I asked Him what He wanted me to do today? What were His plans for me? Do I call someone, write a note, visit someone, etc.?

His words to me were this...  "You have your study assignment- Colossians and Ephesians. Dig deeply. Savor each morsel; chew slowly and digest. It will make a difference."

I turned to Colossians in my New Open Bible, NKJ version that Mike gave me 22 years ago. It's a bit ragged, highlighted and written in but I keep coming back to it.
I began to read the introduction on page 1403 and it's as far as I got.

"Paul's purpose (in this book) is to show that Christ is preeminent-first and foremost in everything-and the Christian's life should reflect that priority. Because believers are rooted in Him, alive in Him, hidden in Him, and complete in Him, it is utterly inconsistent for them to live without Him. Clothed in His love, with His peace ruling in their hearts, they are equipped to make Christ first in every area of life."

That leaves no room for excuses. My life is not my own. I was bought with a price...the life of His dear Son.

I know that as I dig into these books, these letters that were written for me also, I will be changed. I will be transformed and I will become more like my precious Savior. His thoughts will become my thoughts and His desires my own. My life will be of no importance except letting Him live through me. My life will simply become His...more and more until "Debbie" is hardly recognizable and what all will see is Him.

Will it be easy? I don't think so. Will it be quick? No, it will take a lifetime. Will it be worth it? Absolutely!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

This is a constant with us all! We die daily so we can live...or we are supposed to...We can easily get drawn away by "shiny" things (which can even come in the form of teaching.) Then one day we wonder 'wow' how did I get here? We follow our steps back and see where we got off....I am so thankful for the Holy Spirit and for the Head of the Church, our Lord Jesus, Who is a CONSTANT!
Love you, Debbie...we are all on this journey with you, my friend!