Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Sunday Afternoon

It was a Sunday afternoon that took me back to my childhood, growing up on Woodruff Place in Charlotte, in the city.
Then our Sundays were spent in Wesley Heights Methodist Church and then found us most Sundays having lunch with grandparents and sometimes our cousins. I am one of the most fortunate of all because I grew up with both sets of grandparents across the street. I saw my grandparents almost every day and I thought it to be such a treat! Those Sunday afternoons were spent enjoying delicious food, (except when my Nannan had rabbit stew. That particular lunch found me thinking "how could anyone eat Thumper?" and I have no recollection of what I ate-potatoes probably) and having wonderful conversations. Things were slower and quieter. We talked more and visited. Not much TV and definitely not electronic games and such. We took walks, rode bikes, played games and enjoyed the love!

Today after church Mike and I came home to sweet, furry Charlotte and leftovers. As we finished our lunch, April called and said they were picking up food and the kids wanted to come and eat at our house, was that okay? Of course! We were going to visit Mike's mom in the hospital later on but we had time for them. So here they come and we sat and talked, laughed and played around with the kids,
wrote notes with words spelled of felt sticky letters. Mike and Lee got into a deep doctrinal conversation and the rest of us remained quite light-hearted! Christian and Camden wanted to go to the hospital with us; Makenna made Grandmama a card and Elliott took care of Charlotte.

Anna called and they were coming by and had we not needed to go to the hospital we would have loved for all of them to join us. That would have been the "icing on the cake"! Maylena and her parents would have been the "candles" had they been able to join us!

So we ventured into Charlotte's uptown area and missed Anna's crew but I'm sure Charlotte enjoyed their visit. While riding in the back seat with Camden, listening to his quirky conversations laced with his special sense of humor, I was transported back in time, 50 years and more.
That was the way to spend a Sunday afternoon...and I could say, yes! this is the way to spend a lovely Sunday afternoon. The only way it could have been better would have been to have all our kids around us, enjoying each of their unique personalities and Mike's mom at home, not needing to be in the hospital!

Oh and it was an afternoon of firsts.....our almost 13 year old grandson is now taller than me and I had my first Monster drink...a Monster Zero! (only for him!) The things we do for our grands!

You know, it just doesn't get much better than an afternoon like this!
I am so "stinkin" blessed!

No comments: