Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Saving my fine-feathered friend!

Those of you who know me, know I love my birds! I feed them; make sure they have water, etc.
I try to keep the squirrels away so they won't eat all the seed.
Mike has often said that I would feed the birds before I fed us and I would tell him that this is something God wants me to do. I am their care-taker!
Yesterday afternoon while sitting on the porch I noticed a bird fluttering around the birdfeeder but at the middle of the double shepherd's hook. I realized it was some how stuck.
I grabbed a pair of gardening gloves and ran out. The poor thing had its claw stuck and it was bleeding. I spoke softly to her, a female Goldfinch and on the second try I freed her.
She flew away! And of course I prayed that she would heal quickly.
Actually this bird-rescue thing "runs" in our family! Mike has rescued 2 Hummingbirds. One was caught up under our deck umbrella and the cat was trying to get at it and another got up under the porch ceiling and became disoriented. Mike had to climbed up and gently take him in his hand and then he opened his hand and the bird flew away.
I so enjoy watching our feathered friends! It's always such a treat! Just makes you smile!

No comments: