Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My Father's hands

Today I went in to see my Dad.
My Mom is at the beach with some of her "Bridge" friends so after having lunch with my Dad, one of my sisters and her grandson, it was just my Dad and me.

We were working on addresses for their upcoming 60th Wedding Anniversary.
He was looking up addresses in the phone book and I was writing them down.

I just happened to glance over as he was turning pages and looked at his hands.
All of a sudden his hands looked like his Father's hands, my Pappaw's hands.

I can't begin to tell you all the emotions and feelings that rushed to my head and the memories that began to flood my heart.
There for a few seconds I was in a state of "deja vu"...seeing my Grandfather's hands...
remembering how I would hold those hands as a child...as a teenager...and as a married woman
and remembering how I held my Father's hands...those hands that were so strong, so protecting.

My Father will turn 80 his next birthday. So will my Mom.

I find myself wanting to remember to really look at them...studying their features the next time we're together...just to "soak" them deeper inside me...cherishing every moment.

They are in good health now and my Mom is especially active. Just try going shopping with her!

But I don't want to take them for granted.

Make the most of your relationships now while you have the time and opportunity.
Be a little more patient...a little more understanding...taking the time to let them know how much you love them, how much you care...just what they mean to you.
Forget the little personality "quirks", the "things that rub you the wrong way"....

Life is much too precious!

No comments: