Monday, May 3, 2010

Of books and book clubs

Mike and I have shelves and shelves of books. We have bookshelves downstairs. Bookshelves upstairs and a few books still packed away! There are books in every room of our house, come to think of it!
I love to go to bookstores! I love to smell them!
(Hardwarestores too, actually!)
I love to buy books!

Half.com is one of my favorite places to purchase these carefully bound treasures that have the power to tug at the emotions, transport us to faraway places, other times, satisfy our thirst for knowledge and expand our imaginations.

AND we have so many books...too many that I haven't even read! I keep saying that I will one day begin to take a book at a time and just read it and keep on going through every shelf. Oh I hope I actually do!

We love all kinds of books and have various friends with whom we enjoy discussing them.
Mike particularly enjoys history and engages in rousing discussions with a particular few
lovers of history especially at certain family birthday parties. I love watching them in action!

We love to read and our children love to read. I sure hope that love is passed onto our Grands!

This love of reading is certainly at the root of loving our Book Club...."The Ilustrious Literary Society" or the I L S for short! What a special time...and what a special group of ladies!

I was reading an article in Victoria Magazine about an author who moved to London with her family some years back. She joined a book club and this is what she had to say about them.

"...there are the well-read friends in my book club, who know where that new bookstore has opened. Having been raised in a culture that values words and argument, they go at a book with all swords out, until they agree to disagree."

We may be a bit on the very polite side but that doesn't keep us from sharing our hearts and we always agree to disagree very agreeably! Maybe it's that "Southern" thing even though not all our members have Southern roots! A few times I may have "seen" a sword or two!

Closing with a few good book quotes....
"A real book is not one that we read but one that reads us." W.H. Auden

"I've been in love three hundred times in my life, and all but five were with books." Lee Glickstein

"If you would tell me the heart of a man, tell me not what he reads but what he re-reads."
Francois Mauriac

Happy Reading!