Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Coming of Fall

I do believe the autumn is my favorite season!

I begin to get excited at the first colors of the season...the first yellow/gold leaf that dances down to our yard...the sounds of the insects as they announce the changing of the seasons...
the wonderful change in temperatures...the days beginning to be shorter...the way the air takes on a new fragrance....

opened windows...early morning coffee while "robed" in sweaters and blankets...chilly evenings...
the sounds drifting over from the high school football games a few streets over...
the aroma of baking "Nuts n Bolts"- homemade Chex mix for those of you not raised in the South...a fire in the fireplace...pumpkins and garlands of colored leaves...hot apple cider and Russian tea...the scent of sweet cinnamon pumpkin wafting throughout our home...ummmmm...

all I can do is just smile and enjoy!

As a little girl, my mother making Nuts n Bolts was one of the ways we celebrated the coming of the Autumn. It's tradition! I did the same when our children lived at home and now the girls
celebrate Autumn with their families by making this delicious treat!
AND...I just took Autumn's first batch out of the oven...the house smells wonderful!

(okay, I know Autumn doesn't really get here until the 22nd but I've NEVER been one to be able to wait until then!)

No comments: